- In my first month of owning a home, I’ve spent $3,223.40 on all the things that turn a house into a home — ranging from rugs to furniture to ant traps.
- I bought some large furniture for myself, like a new mattress and bed frame, and was gifted other items by my grandparents, parents, and friends.
- But, for the most part, I was starting out with a blank slate, since I didn’t bring much with me in my cross-country move.
- I spent a lot more than I’d expected in my first month of owning a home, and wish I would have better accounted for the expense of making my house a home while saving. But I don’t regret any of my purchases.
- Sign up for Personal Finance Insider’s email newsletter here »
In my first month of owning a home, I feel like I’ve spent an absurd amount of money.