- Gabrielle Rivera is a 25-year-old professional mermaid based in the Bay Area, California.
- At the age of 19, a friend introduced Rivera to online community of merfolk, people also interested in mermaids and costuming. From there, her character Nymphia, The Nautilus Mermaid, was born.
- Today, Rivera performs as Nymphia everywhere from corporate events and kids’ parties, to aquarium and water shows, starting at a rate of $250 for a 90-minute appearance.
- Rivera says that as a trans woman, cosplay and working as a mermaid has helped her explore and build up confidence in her femininity.
- Here’s her story, as told to freelance author Jenny Powers.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve been drawn to the sea. Some of my earliest childhood memories as a little boy are spending time on the San Diego beaches with my mom.