Skip to content

lawsuit

CLOSE
Buy Photo

Commissioner Marsha Berkbigler says she will run for re-election. (Photo: Jason Bean/RGJ)

Two Washoe County Commissioners said they’ve mended fences after months of acrimony that culminated in their hiring personal lawyers to trade vitriolic letters over the hiring of a county manager almost a year ago. 

The first salvo came from Commission Chairman Bob Lucey.

On Aug. 24, Lucey’s lawyer wrote a cease and desist letter to Commission Vice Chairwoman Marsha Berkbigler. In it, he demanded she retract a statement implying Lucey was racist because he didn’t support the hiring of county manager Eric Brown, who is Black.

In an email to a political donor, Berkbigler had said Lucey wanted to oust her from office so he could replace Brown with his favored candidate, assistant county manager Kate Thomas. 

“Apparently, he doesn’t like black people and he thinks he can control the female he is planning to 

Read More

Minneapolis businesses are threatening to bring Mayor Jacob Frey to court over losing customers and income because of the protests and violence in the city.

Mark Thompson, an attorney representing the grocery store Cup Foods, and a number of other businesses, sent a letter obtained by Fox News threatening to sue Frey and the Minneapolis City Council. In letter, Thompson accused the city has acted negligently and caused businesses in the area to suffer damages. 

“My clients and I request a meeting with the mayor and all council members at their earliest convenience to discuss our concerns in greater detail and to see if we can come to some sort of agreement without initiating litigation,” Thompson wrote.

Cup Foods spokesperson Jamar Nelson told Fox News that the city has had barricades installed around the area since about May after Floyd died and protests flared that have deterred potential customers. 

“We’re

Read More
/quality/85/?url=http://media.beam.usnews.com/ba/553632d7e23e4e3bc6d2d81a6ad15d/tag:reuters.com,2020:newsml_LYNXMPEG904RO:12020-10-01T170549Z_1_LYNXMPEG904RO_RTROPTP_3_BRAZIL-DAMBURST-SCHOOL.JPG">

SAO PAULO (Reuters) – Brazilian federal and state prosecutors have asked a court to re-open a multi-billion-dollar civil action lawsuit against miners Samarco, Vale SA and BHP for damages caused by the Fundao dam burst in 2015, authorities said on Thursday.

The incident at Samarco’s Mariana facilities, a joint venture between Vale and BHP, which left 19 dead and polluted the River Doce, was Brazil’s biggest ever environmental disaster. The claim is for damages of 155 billion reais ($27.4 billion).

The suit had been suspended in 2018 after an agreement between prosecutors and the companies. But in the Thursday statement, state prosecutors in Minas Gerais, where Mariana is located, alleged that the companies were not meeting their obligations in a timely fashion.

In a joint statement, Vale, Samarco and BHP said they were surprised by prosecutors’ decision to attempt to re-open the suit, and said they vehemently disagreed with the

Read More

RADNOR, Pa.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The law firm of Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP reminds that an investor securities fraud class action lawsuit has been filed against Nikola Corporation (NASDAQ: NKLA, NKLAW) (“Nikola”) on behalf of those who purchased or otherwise acquired Nikola securities between March 3, 2020, and September 20, 2020, inclusive (the “Class Period”).

Nikola investors who purchased or otherwise acquired securities during the Class Period may, no later than November 16, 2020, seek to be appointed as a lead plaintiff representative of the class.

Investors who wish to discuss this securities fraud class action lawsuit or request additional information about this litigation are encouraged to contact Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check attorneys James Maro, Jr. or Adrienne Bell at (844) 877-9500 (toll free) or online, click https://www.ktmc.com/nikola-corporation-class-action?utm_source=PR&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=nikola.

According to the complaint, Nikola operates as an integrated zero emissions transportation systems provider, which designs and manufactures

Read More

RADNOR, Pa. & NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The law firms of Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP and Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann LLP, as Co-Lead Counsel, announce that the court-appointed Lead Plaintiff represented by the firms have filed a Consolidated Complaint in the securities fraud class action lawsuit pending against Luckin Coffee Inc. (“Luckin”) (formerly trading Nasdaq: LK; now OTC: LKNCY). This action, captioned In Re Luckin Coffee Inc. Securities Litigation, Case No. 1:20-cv-01293-LJL-JLC, was filed in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and alleges violations of federal securities laws on behalf of Luckin investors who purchased or acquired the American Depository Shares (“ADS”) of Luckin from May 17, 2019 through April 1, 2020, inclusive (the “Class Period”), including those who purchased ADSs in or traceable to Luckin’s initial public offering on or about May 17, 2019 (the “IPO”), or Luckin’s secondary

Read More

Alphabet and Google CEO Sundar Pichai sent a warning to employees following the settlement of a shareholder lawsuit accusing the board of mishandling sexual misconduct allegations against past executives.

Pichai, in an email to the company’s employees, wrote, “I hope these commitments will serve as a strong signal to all of you that we are not going back in time,” as quoted by CNBC.

“It’s very important to me that we hold ourselves to the highest possible standard as a workplace on issues of misconduct, and provide care and support to people who report it…I’ve been working closely with our teams and our board to ensure that we are doing this,” Pichai added.

Shareholder lawsuit

Alphabet last week reached a $310-million settlement in a shareholder lawsuit over its handling of sexual misconduct allegations against past executives.

In 2018, thousands of Google employees had walked out in protest following a

Read More

NEW ORLEANS–(BUSINESS WIRE)–ClaimsFiler, a FREE shareholder information service, reminds investors that they have only until September 28, 2020 to file lead plaintiff applications in a securities class action lawsuit against FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE), if they purchased the Company’s shares between February 21, 2017 and July 21, 2020, inclusive (the “Class Period”). This action is pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.

Get Help

FirstEnergy investors should visit us at https://www.claimsfiler.com/cases/view-firstenergy-corp-securities-litigation or call toll-free (844) 367-9658. Lawyers at Kahn Swick & Foti, LLC are available to discuss your legal options.

About the Lawsuit

FirstEnergy and certain of its executives are charged with failing to disclose material information during the Class Period, violating federal securities laws.

On July 21, 2020, federal law enforcement officials announced the arrest of Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and others in connection with a $60 million racketeering and

Read More

Sept. 23 (UPI) — Tesla, Inc. sued the Trump administration this week in an effort to keep it from collecting tariffs on parts the electric automaker receives from China.

The lawsuit claims the tariffs are against the law and wants refunds with interest. Tesla filed the lawsuit Monday in New York’s U.S. Court of International Trade.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Mark Morgan were named as defendants in the lawsuit as well.

Tesla pays a 25% tariff on Chinese-made computers and display screens used in its Model 3 electric cars. Lighthizer refused to grant Tesla a wavier on those parts last year. The carmaker also applied for waivers on artificial graphite, silicon oxide and door ring tailor welding blanks, which were all granted but expired in August.

“Increased tariffs on this particular part cause economic harm to Tesla, through the increase of costs and

Read More
/quality/85/?url=http://media.beam.usnews.com/ee/f1c13fb76658e66ac1b7be9388f30c/tag:reuters.com,2020:newsml_LYNXMPEG8H0EG:12020-09-18T063012Z_1_LYNXMPEG8H0EG_RTROPTP_3_TESLA-INVESTORS-S-P.JPG">

(Reuters) – A federal judge narrowed Tesla Inc’s lawsuit against a former employee it accused of hacking into its computers and leaking proprietary data to a reporter. The judge also dismissed a defamation counterclaim by the former employee.

In a decision on Thursday, Chief Judge Miranda Du of the federal court in Reno, Nevada said Tesla failed to show that Martin Tripp’s disclosure of confidential information caused a $167 million decline in the electric car maker’s market value.

But she refused to dismiss some other Tesla claims, including that Tripp’s alleged unauthorized use of data might have violated a Nevada computer crimes law, and that his conduct justified punitive damages.

The defamation counterclaim arose from four statements made by Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk or Tesla’s communications staff, but Du said none was false and Tripp could not show actual malice.

Tripp had worked as a process technician at Tesla’s

Read More

The attorney representing the parents of the toddlers in a doctored video shared by President Donald Trump said the president’s reelection campaign raised money “at the expense of two little kids.”

Ven Johnson, who is representing the parents of Maxwell, Michael Cisneros and Alex Hanson, told Newsweek, “It’s all about trying to raise money for his reelection campaign and increase his ‘brand’ at the expense of two little kids.”

“It was absolutely done to advocate for what I believe to be a racist, despicable message against two little babies,” Johnson added.

Though there is no indication that the Trump campaign used the video as a fundraising platform, the June 18 tweet from the president and the campaign’s subsequent retweet and Facebook post, sparked backlash across social media. According to the lawsuit, the video saw over 21 million views before it was taken down by Twitter and Facebook, who labeled

Read More

Designed using Magazine News Byte. Powered by WordPress.