• Last week, the wildly popular game “Fortnite” got an update on Apple and Android smartphones that allowed players to bypass the companies’ digital payment systems. Instead of Apple and Google, payments went directly to the “Fortnite” studio, Epic Games.
  • In response, Apple and Google pulled “Fortnite” from their digital storefronts and cited the update as a terms-of-service violation. Epic Games sued both companies shortly thereafter for what it says is anticompetitive behavior.
  • On Monday, the legal saga got more complicated: Epic filed for a temporary restraining order against Apple to keep the company from “removing, de-listing, refusing to list or otherwise making unavailable the app ‘Fortnite,’ including any update thereof.”
  • Apple issued a response late Monday night placing the blame on Epic and digging in on the current policy. “We won’t make an exception for Epic,” the statement said, “because we don’t think it’s right to put their business interests
Read More