- Channel 4 on Monday revealed a leaked cache of data from the Trump 2016 presidential campaign.
- The data showed how the campaign microtargeted people on Facebook, and labelled a particular group of users as targets for “deterrence” from voting. This group was disproportionately made up of Black users.
- Experts told Business Insider the report highlights the threat that microtargeting on a vast platform like Facebook’s poses towards democratic elections.
- “Facebook talks a lot about bad actors misusing its platform, but the truth is that the biggest bad actor on Facebook is Facebook,” one said.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The now-defunct Cambridge Analytica entered the news cycle once again on Monday, four years after its name became synonymous with the huge data scandal that changed the tech landscape forever.
UK broadcaster Channel 4 obtained a leaked data cache from the Trump 2016 presidential campaign which contained the data