Hearings have begun in Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s defamation suit against a blogger who shared an article about him on Facebook.

Lee sued Leong Sze Hian for posting a link to a Malaysian news site that alleged the Prime Minister had helped launder 1Malaysia Development Bhd. funds. The Singaporean leader, who has sued other people for defamation while in office, arrived in court on Tuesday to give evidence and undergo cross-examination. Lees lawyers have said the accusations are false and baseless.

“The offending words in the post meant and were understood to mean that the plaintiff was complicit in criminal activity relating to 1MDB,” according to Lee’s opening statement to the court. “They meant and were understood to mean that the plaintiff corruptly used his position as Prime Minister to help Najib launder 1MDB’s billions,” the statement said, referring to former Malaysian premier Najib Razak.

Taking the stand

Read More
/quality/85/?url=http://media.beam.usnews.com/ee/f1c13fb76658e66ac1b7be9388f30c/tag:reuters.com,2020:newsml_LYNXMPEG8H0EG:12020-09-18T063012Z_1_LYNXMPEG8H0EG_RTROPTP_3_TESLA-INVESTORS-S-P.JPG">

(Reuters) – A federal judge narrowed Tesla Inc’s lawsuit against a former employee it accused of hacking into its computers and leaking proprietary data to a reporter. The judge also dismissed a defamation counterclaim by the former employee.

In a decision on Thursday, Chief Judge Miranda Du of the federal court in Reno, Nevada said Tesla failed to show that Martin Tripp’s disclosure of confidential information caused a $167 million decline in the electric car maker’s market value.

But she refused to dismiss some other Tesla claims, including that Tripp’s alleged unauthorized use of data might have violated a Nevada computer crimes law, and that his conduct justified punitive damages.

The defamation counterclaim arose from four statements made by Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk or Tesla’s communications staff, but Du said none was false and Tripp could not show actual malice.

Tripp had worked as a process technician at Tesla’s

Read More

An attorney representing Dr. Scott Atlas, a senior fellow at Stanford’s conservative Hoover Institution and White House coronavirus adviser, threatened to file a defamation lawsuit against signatories of a critical open letter that condemned Atlas’ views on COVID-19 if they did not withdraw their claims.

The signatories are standing by their statement and will not retract the letter, according to attorneys for the Stanford faculty members.

More than 100 Stanford physicians and researchers in the fields of epidemiology, infectious disease and health policy released an open letter last week denouncing Atlas’ controversial stances on COVID-19 infection and mitigation strategies and countering them with a list of statements that are supported by the “preponderance of evidence.”

Stanford affiliates wrote that many of Atlas’ “opinions and statements run counter to established science and, by doing so, undermine public-health authorities and the credible science that guides effective public health policy.”

Atlas’ attorney Marc

Read More