- In Bolivia, lawmakers are pushing through a bill legalizing a form of toxic bleach, chlorine dioxide, as a COVID-19 treatment despite opposition from the country’s health ministry.
- The substance is called Miracle Mineral Solution by a network of alternative-medicine advocates. Scientists and doctors say it has no medical value and can be deadly.
- Across the country, reports are emerging of injuries and deaths of people consuming MMS under the false belief it cures COVID-19.
- A German “researcher” with no apparent medical credentials, along with a group of renegade medics, helped popularize MMS there, Business Insider has found.
- Analysts say opposition politicians are backing the substance — regardless of the dangers — to exploit growing anger with the embattled government.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The endoscope images show serious lesions and swellings in the esophagus, the organ that connects the mouth and the stomach.
They come from a