• Jean-Sébastien Jacques, Rio Tinto’s chief executive, is stepping down following the backlash over the firm’s destruction of 46,000 year-old indigenious caves in western Australia.
  • The mining company is on the hunt for another CEO to replace Jacques. Two other senior executives will depart by the end of this year.
  • Rio Tinto chairman said in a statement that the company is determined to regain the trust of the indigenous people and “reestablish its reputation as a leader in communities and heritage management.”
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Mining giant Rio Tinto announced on Friday that CEO Jean-Sébastien Jacques will quit the firm along with two other senior executives, following the outcry over its destruction of two ancient caves in Australia that were considered sacred by indigenous people.

Jacques, who has headed the Anglo-Australian firm since 2016, will remain chief executive until the end of March 2021 or until the

Read More

By Melanie Burton

MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Rio Tinto has pledged to protect a 43,000-year old rock shelter on the fringe of its Silvergrass iron ore mine in Western Australia as it reviews heritage sites following outrage over the destruction of sacred ancient caves this year.

Rio Tinto, which has state government approval to damage the site, told the Wintawari Guruma people, its traditional owners, of its intention to preserve the rock shelter last week, although the Wintawari say they have yet to receive confirmation in writing.

“We will protect the site and also have mining buffer zones in place to further ensure the site is not at risk,” the world’s largest iron ore miner said in an e-mail in response to Reuters questions about the site.

The state government-approved detonation in May of caves in the same region that showed evidence of human history stretching back 46,000 years provoked worldwide

Read More