- The scheduled speakers at this year’s Republican National Convention have shared so many conspiracies and debunked claims that previous conventions look quaint in comparison.
- An anti-abortion activist who spoke Tuesday night said earlier this year that police officers should racially profile her adopted son because of “statistics.”
- Another speaker lost her slot at the convention after retweeting an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that was supported by Hitler.
- A former Fox host warned that Democrats will “defund, dismantle, and destroy American law enforcement” in a speech that some described as fascist.
- A sitting Republican congressman claimed Democrats want to “take away your guns,” while another said Joe Biden and the “woketopians” will “disarm you, empty the prisons, lock you in your home, and invite MS-13 to live next door.”
- Scroll down to read the wildest claims made by people who were invited to speak at this year’s Republican National Convention.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Clint Eastwood made headlines in 2012 after he yelled at an empty chair during primetime at the Republican National Convention. The move drew widespread ridicule, with critics saying Eastwood distracted from the campaign platform and policy message the GOP was trying to sell through its candidate, Mitt Romney.
Fast forward to 2020: this week’s RNC has been so full of misinformation, outlandish performances, and dystopian conspiracy theories that they make Eastwood’s act look quaint. Donald Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party in the 2016 election cycle has also made these performances more a feature of the RNC than a bug.
An anti-abortion activist claimed Margaret Sanger, who founded the first birth control clinic in the US, was a “racist” who wanted to “eradicate the minority population.”
A former Fox News host said Democrats will “defund, dismantle, and destroy American law enforcement.”
A sitting Republican congressman claimed Democrats want to “take away your guns” and allow “crime, violence, and mob rule” run rampant in American cities. Another congressman warned that Biden and “woketopians” will “disarm you, empty the prisons, lock you in your home, and invite MS-13 to live next door.”