- Burger King tweeted a video of its mascot opening a paper food bag – and the contents played what could be the new PlayStation 5 start-up noise.
- The bag shone a blue light into the Burger King’s face that looked similar to the blue glow PlayStation consoles emit.
- The video teased more details on October 15.
- Twitter users joked that the chain could be launching its own video games. It could also be a teaser for an upcoming competition, some said.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Burger King teased a mysterious tie-up with PlayStation in a cryptic tweet, ahead of an apparent official announcement on Thursday, October 15.
Burger King tweeted a video of its mascot opening one of the fast food chain’s paper bags. The contents of the bag shone a blue light into the King’s face, not unlike the glow PlayStation consoles emit.
The bag also played a short sound as soon as the bag was opened, leading to speculation this could be the upcoming PlayStation 5 (PS5) console’s start-up sound.
The sound was previously heard at the official PS5 reveal event, per IGN.
Burger King captioned the Tweet: “do Whopper sandwiches normally do this?” It was immediately retweeted by PlayStation, whose retweet now has more than 50,000 likes.
As The Burger King walked off screen, “10/15” flashed up.
—PlayStation (@PlayStation) October 12, 2020
One Twitter user joked that PlayStation may be selling the PS5 for the price of a Whopper.
Others suggested that Burger King may be reviving King Games. The fast food outlet launched a series of three Xbox games in 2006 which have since gained cult status.
The October 15 date could also just be a teaser for a competition to win a console by buying food from Burger King, others have pointed out.
Burger King and PlayStation didn’t share any further information.
The PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition will be released on November 12, 2020, for $499 and $399.